Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sweet bark without a bite.


I've been making nut clusters this winter but this week, I decided to just pour all of the chocolate directly onto the nuts and then break them apart, like when you make brittle. The clusters looked prettier but the bark has more nuts! I used the Enjoy Life chocolate chips which I melted down with my macgyvered double boiler. I used a pyrex, oven safe bowl and a glass pot that I filled with about an inch or two of water.

Nuts aren't cheap so this time around, I bought the student trail mix from the bulk section at our local health food store (New Pioneer Co-op).It has peanuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, cashews and almonds in it.

My rigged up double boiler in action. 



Stirring helps the chocolate melt faster!



        Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper and spread nuts over top.
             


       
     Spreading the chocolate wasn't as easy as I was hoping for.



         
      Break the bark apart after the chocolate hardens.



Nutty Chocolate Bark


Ingredients

3-4 cups Trail Mix (or any kind of nuts that you desire)
1 bag Enjoy LIfe chocolate chips 
small cookie sheet 
Waxed paper

Directions

Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. Spread trail mix evenly across the cookie sheet. Set your double boiler up. I make my double boiler out of a small glass pot and a medium sized pyrex oven-safe bowl. First, fill the pot with about 2 inches of water then place the bowl on top of it. The bowl does not need to be submerged into the water. Bring water to a bowl and stir the chocolate occasionally. When the chocolate is completely melted, remove it from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Spread chocolate over the nuts using a spoon to guide it. Place the pan in the refrigerator until the chocolate hardens. Lastly, break the bark apart into as many pieces as you see fit. As always, ENJOY! 


P.S.
Nut clusters are prettier!
Melt the chocolate as stated above.  
Spoon it onto the waxed paper and 
add the nuts and dried fruit any 
which way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment